Pages

Friday, July 5, 2013

The Snake

     The other day, my family and I were playing bocce ball. The object of the game is to be the person whose large green or red ball is closest to a little white ball that is thrown first. As we were strolling towards the cluster of bocce balls, a gigantic snake suddenly appeared next to my brother's feet and started slithering away from where my brother was stepping. Screaming and running ensued, but we finally went back to get a closer look at this snake. It was about three feet long with a yellow and brown patterned skin. What really worried me was this snake kept rattling it's butt like a rattle snake would do when it feels threatened, but I wasn't sure if there were any in my area. I looked on google and I found out that two types of poisonous snakes are found in my area, one happening to be the timber rattler. Luckily, the snake did not fit the pictures of timber rattlers, so I figured that this was a different species. Species of snakes, such as the milksnake, have rattling tails as a defense mechanism because animals contribute that characteristic to poisonous, therefore leaving the reptile alone. This is definitely effective because my family and I left that snake alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment