Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Escape Bunnies!

      I have realized that my rabbits are masterminds in the escape department. Numerous times, I have glimpsed my rabbits outside of their hutch and they were not supposed to be out. First of all, their hutch is large and is made out of 2 by 4s and ply wood. Rabbits' teeth are constantly growing so they need to chew on wood and such to allow them to file down their teeth. A couple of times, my rabbits have chosen to ignore the wood meant for chewing and to utilize their teeth on their home.
      Once this past summer, I was passing by the window that overlooks the rabbit hutch and I noticed a black and white rabbit hopping about. At first, I thought it was a wild rabbit, because my house is situated in a rural area, until I figured out that wild rabbits are not black and white. As I freaked out, I ran outside and started to try and shoo my rabbits back into the now apparent hole in their hutch. Midnight, being a naturally skittish rabbit, ran right back into her house and stayed there. I have a feeling that Pie was the one who chewed the hole and Midnight just followed.
      Pie, on the other hand, was not quite as willing to give up her freedom. After basically running circles around me, Pie scooted underneath her hutch and stayed put. No amount of coaxing would trick my little bunny to come out. After a couple of hours, it was apparent that me and my brother needed to go to desperate measures. We ended up digging a hole next to the hutch and placed a carrying case in it, which was filled with carrots and yogurt chips which are Pie's favorite. As we stood by and waited, Pie slowly entered the carrying case and freedom was ended.

Midnight
Pie
       After that little incident, my bother and I put another layer of mesh and ply wood on the floor of the hutch and Midnight and Pie have not gotten out since.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your blog. You are a natural writer...keep up the posts

    ReplyDelete